Monday, December 26, 2011

Flex Seal

The Problem

I have a joint where my concrete pool deck meets a concrete slab that is over part of my cellar. This joint is at the low point for both the pool deck and the slab. The deck and slab are basically level along the 24-foot length of this joint and it holds some water that does not flow easily to one end or the other. Water will leak through this joint and a couple of perpendicular cracks in the slab and slowly flood my cellar.

Another aspect of the joint is the vertical movement in the winter. As the slab is above the cellar, it does not move. But the concrete pool deck is on the ground and will move up and down with the winter freeze-thaw cycles.

Failed Attempts

About once a year I would clean the joint and the cracks. Then I would rub a water-proof caulk into the joint and cracks. That would work for about a year and then I would have to do it again.

I most recently tried a thick concrete epoxy-based paint along the joint and cracks. Apparently there is too much movement and I had new leaks in fairly short order.

Flex Seal

While watching TV the other day, I saw a commercial for Flex Seal. The product looked like just what I was looking for. I went to the website that was advertised: GetFlexSeal.com

The information on the website basically matched what I saw on the TV. Again, Flex Seal looked like what I needed.

But then I did a few Google searches and found some surprizes.

I found many bad reviews about the total cost and the checkout system. The bottom line is that you pay shipping and handling on the first can and the free can. The buy-one-get-one-free offer will cost you $19.95 + $9.95 + $9.95 for a total of $39.85. But that assumes you do not get confused during the ordering process and order more cans than you want or order other products along the way.

Then there were the reviews on the product itself. Most were not good. As of this posting date, the Better Business Bureau of the Southland (i.e., Southern California) has given this company an F rating.

The following video is from WGHP-TV (MyFox 8)...



A good place for seeing many comments is the Flex Seal product review on Amazon.com. I have found some possible alternatives for stopping my leak after going through those comments. Once the weather warms up and I give them a try, I will add a new post with the results. But for now, I will not be ordering Flex Seal...

No comments: